Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ahhhh SETC...

I'm sitting in the airport waiting to fly home from Chattanooga and SETC. I have been gone since Tuesday. It snowed while we were there. I saw lots of old friends, went to a sh*tload of meetings, presented papers, panels, drank, ate, slept...no wait, I didn't do much of that.

My colleagues and I were talking about, as K put it, "I would have hocked something to make it to SETC!" Our students went for the first time and only because the school paid for the van and drove them there. Hard to believe. I wonder if young students aren't so used to being handed everything that they don't know how to think about solving their own problems (employment, education, etc.). I just remember piling into a car with four to five people I didn't know or even like very much to get to SETC, then pile into bed with at least 3 other people (if you were lucky enough to get the bed and not the floor or tub) to sleep for a couple of minutes so you could get up to audition, attend workshops, and meet people. I was very self-directed and remember thinking at the time, that I wasn't self-directed enough. No child left behind....

Thank all the gods and goddesses that it's our spring break this coming week. I'm sleeping Monday, then doing taxes and travel claims on Tuesday and Wednesday, then riding the train to DC with Jacob and our friend to show Jacob "our nation's capital." Looking forward to that, although I can't really think about it right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent that you are taking the Jake-meister to DC! You MUST hit the Nat'l Air and Space Museum Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Annex at Dulles Airport. Its amazing. Also, I really like the FDR memorial and you MUST just chill on the lawn at the mall. Cruse through Georgetown -very nice area and check out the great eateries and the univ. And go to the WWII memorial BEFORE you go to the Vietman Wall.
(Btw, this is Len.)